Thursday, March 1, 2012

Miscommunication

Well I guess it's bound to happen in everyone's marriage (or relationships in general!) but today, March 1, 2012, it has happened in ours!

Nathan was feeling under the weather so I asked him what I could do to help. He hadn't eaten anything yet & I started suggesting things we have here at the house to eat. He declined them all & said, "I know what I want, I want Wild Wings!" Sounded good to me! Not the healthiest choice, but hey we don't do it that often. A lunch date it was. Now both of us were still in our pjs so we quickly got up and started getting dressed. He announced he had to put gas in his truck so he would just meet me there... plus he had to leave straight from the restaurant to go to his class. I told him I'd meet him there. As I was getting ready he called to say he'd changed his mind & that he'd prefer to go to Jason's Deli! (I love that place so of course I was game!) I told him I'd being leaving the house in a second so I'd be there shortly.

I arrived at Jason's Deli... & didn't see Nathan's truck anywhere. That sinking feeling set in. I called him & said, "Please tell me you didn't mean the Jason's Deli in Briarcreek!"... he responded, "Yeah, where are you?" ...I quickly & kinda harshly replied, "I'm at the one we always go to, the only one we've ever been to!" (Now in his defense he went to the one right by where Wild Wings is; where we were originally suppose to go.) At this point we had gone in opposite directions. He had to be at class too soon for us to come up with plan B.

We both were annoyed & mainly at ourselves for not clarifying. I childishly hung up the phone too quickly & immediately felt bad for being harsh with him. I called him back with tears of frustration & disappointment streaming down my face (I cry often... it really doesn't take much!). I apologized & he laughed & made light of the situation which made me smile... that was exactly what I needed.

I know this is nothing big, just a little milestone in our marriage. I know there will be plenty more miscommunications to come. I know my husband loves me & despite our miscommunications we'll laugh & go on.

I hope the Lord will grant us many more days to have lunch together & share life together!

1 comment:

  1. Praise God for grace, forgiveness and husbands who are less emotional than we are. :) Thanks for sharing, friend. You're not alone!

    ReplyDelete