Friday, March 16, 2012

Finally- Above our Bed

It has taken some time for me to decide what exactly I wanted to do above our bed. It's a huge wall & it was kind of daunting! I didn't want to do another collection of pictures... especially pictures of our friends & family above our bed. (I don't know, just weirds me out!) I didn't have any artwork that I loved to fill the space. I couldn't find a "saying" that I wanted there. Finally I knew what I wanted/ could afford.

I have had the 16x20 canvas canvas hanging there but it just looks so empty.
I may have swiped 2 large picture frames from my parents garage about a year ago... I knew I wanted to use them but I wasn't sure how yet!

I decided to paint them with the extra paint from redoing our dresser!
I didn't have glass for these frames but that was ok because I didn't want to hang pictures! I had a plan.



I went to Micheal's (dangerous) & bought 2 sheets of scrapbook paper for 16 cents each & two wooden letters for $3.99 each.

Lay your letter upside down on your craft paper upside... take a pencil & trace your letter.


Next you're going to cut the letter out.
Grab your mod podge & a paint brush! (I ended up switching paint brushes... that one was way too small!)
Mod podge the wood... then place the paper on top... then mod podge the top of the paper too! Start from the center & work your way out to avoid bubbles between the paper & wood.

Let the mod podge dry... and then take sandpaper to the edges. See how there is a little hanging over the edges... the sandpaper should help this.
After you've sandpapered then you're done! It gives it a much cleaner look.


I went & got my frames that were now a totally different color & hung them where I wanted them!
Looks better already!!

I added the letters & voila! I love how it turned out. It cost me a whopping $8.30 & really not much time!

3 comments: