Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Crock-Pot Lasagna

Today I tried to make Lasagna in my crock-pot... I'd have to say it was successful! I found the recipe from Creating through Life but it seemed a little bland for our taste so the following is how I made ours! I also used ground turkey because it's leaner & healthier. I found it interesting that this recipe calls for cottage cheese because I've always used ricotta in my lasagna... but cottage cheese is like half the calories of ricotta... genius!

You'll need the following:
  • 1 lb. ground turkey (or beef... or sausage)
  • 29 oz can of tomato sauce
  • 8 oz lasagna noodles, uncooked
  • onion
  • garlic
  • Italian seasonings
  • salt & pepper
  • 4 cups mozzarella
  • 1 1/2 cups of cottage cheese
*Spray your crock-pot with cooking spray*

Start by browning your ground turkey in a large saucepan. Add in onion, Italian seasonings, salt & pepper & garlic. (I pressed my garlic, I prefer it that way & it extracts allicin (which has properties that are believed to decrease blood pressure, have anti-thrombotic and anti-inflammatory activities, and function as an antioxidant to some extent!) 

Add in tomato sauce to ground turkey!

In a different bowl combine cottage cheese & mozzarella.

Layer 1/3 of sauce in the crock-pot
Cover with (uncooked) lasagna noodles, you may need to break them to fit the oval shape of the pot.
Layer 1/3 of the cheese mixture
Repeat!
Top off the lasagna with any extra tomato sauce.

Set on Low & walk away for 4 hours!

So maybe this doesn't look so good, but it sure does taste good!

No comments:

Post a Comment