Thursday, January 26, 2012

Ugly (but free) Hotel Bedside Table


Ok, remember this?



Yeah... it's ugly. I really hate it because it is what you see when our bedroom door is open... it's a straight shot down the hall right into that ugly thing. I've tried flipping which side we put it on in efforts to hide it but that threw off our sitting area. SO what is the perfect cheap & quick fix? Paint.

Step 1- Prime. I chose to prime this because it was a little more lacquered than the dresser I painted last time and also because of that dated metal. 
All Primed! It was easy. Just make sure you don't spray too close so you can avoid drips.
Step 2. Spray paint metal... Fail. I thought this would be more of a nickle finish... nope. My thought was I'll spray the metal & then let it dry, then tape it off and paint around it. I was afraid the black with the 'Hanging Vine' would look to modern/ teen dorm room like.
I definitely decided to re-prime!
Step 3. Paint! I like this MUCH better. I painted the entire piece with Valspar Flat Latex Interior Paint in 'Hanging Vine'.
Now what to do about that hole? (My husband and his roommates original used this as their TV stand, hence the hole.)
Well, I had this picture that has no stand & no hanger. I really like the print & the frame is the perfect  size. I found it at Goodwill for $1 and I think it works here.

There you have it. It honestly isn't my ideal just because I think the shape of it is not lovely, however at least now the color is! 
There you have it. I like that with our neutral bedding we now have a pop of color throughout our room. Our room is certainly not finished, but lets be honest... will it ever be? Probably not as long as I'm living here!
Certainly more my style! Be bold... anyone can paint!

2 comments:

  1. well done! also, as a the grammar police...it should be hole. not whole.
    I absolutely love this color. Love. It.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha... I did it correctly the second time but not the first! Thanks girl! :)

    ReplyDelete