Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Paint is a beautiful thing!

Since my husband has been out of town I have filled my evenings with projects. Things I've been wanting to do... but when he is here I'd prefer to just sit & spend time with him! (We're newly weds... but I hope that doesn't wear off!) So without further ado...
Meet the dresser I found on Craigslist for $40. Nathan & I had literally NO furniture so I hit Craigslist hard. (The week before my wedding... I was wisely put on restriction by my then fiance & my best friend Whitney to not get on Craigslist anymore until after the wedding!) 

Well this look is fine for a cabin or a 90's country themed bedroom with a plaid bedspread... but that's not exactly the look I was going for!
So I started painting that sucker. Thankfully the dresser wasn't rough or super lacquered so I didn't have to prime it. I bough a gallon of Valspar Interior Flat Latex Paint called 'Hanging Vine' which cost $17.98 at Lowes. I have a ton left over which I'm sure I can find so use for!
The most tedious part of this whole process was the 17 knobs. If I could afford all new hardware I would have found some antiqued crystal looking knobs... but alas that's not in the budget for now! I painted the tops, waited over night, and then replaced them & finished the rest. 
I LOVED waking up to this, this morning! See that huge beautiful mirror? It didn't come with the dresser. I found that at a thrift store & got it for $17.50!! It's stamped on the back Aug. 1956 & it is ridiculously heavy!
So here it is folks. Multiple coats of pretty paint & time. I love that we have color in our bedroom now!
As renters we're not painting the walls... so any other way I can get color into our home (and be able to take it with us when we leave this place) is a win for me!

Stay tuned for an update on this hideous hotel (but free) bedside table.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE this! :) Paint can do wonders, can't it?

    You might want to wander through hardware sections from time to time - when Target was switching out seasons once, they had a ridiculous amount of nice knobs and handles that were 75% off, and I got some great deals then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know! I'll keep my eye out for those. I love Target's clearance!

      Delete