Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Raleigh's Nursery


Whenever it finally sunk in (has it really though?) that we'd be bringing a child into our home the wheels started turning in my head! Where will he sleep? What about our guest room, we can't lose that because all of our family lives out of town!? How will we fit a queen sized bed & a crib into a small space? How much do we want to spend on this nursery? How do I decorate for my little boy?

Well, I'm still not exactly sure about where he'll start off sleeping! I'm going to try the nursery from day one (it's not like our room is far away... we live in a small apartment!). We kept our guest room... & made it into fully functioning nursery & guest room combo! We had to turn the queen size bed into a "day bed" of sorts, but I think it will work. Every piece of furniture we purchased was a Craigslist/ internet find... & of course we got it all for a steal! I decided to decorate the way I'd like it... not too frilly of course, I mean it is for our boy! I wanted to use things that could go in any room of our house but together create a nursery. From day one I thought we were having a boy! I decided to purchase green fabric before our ultrasound confirmed we were in fact having a boy. It was a safe bet & after all it is my favorite color! Each detail has been picked out for a reason & each nicknack has been placed because it's special. Our families have their touches in Raleigh's nursery, which makes it extra special... so here goes!
 Here is one side! Ok- let's break it down. Far left are hooks, I found that at Target for $4! It's perfect for Raleigh's towels. We found the crib on Craigslist... we bought it with the matching changing table for $275! I love it. My Pop Pop bought Raleigh's mattress and my Grandma Barbara lovingly sewed the crib skirt. Maw Maw, Nathan's Grandma, bought us the rocking chair & ottoman... which we found on Craigslist for $85!

That gorgeous rug? I love it. It was an Overstock purchase! I found is for $130, which kind of seemed like a lot at the time, but it adds so much! It could go in any room of our house & it's wool so it's a natural fiber I don't mind my son crawling on. See those gorgeous drapes? My awesome Grandma Barbara & mom made those too. I found the fabric at a craft fair. It used to be a vintage mattress cover. See the vintage suitcases? Well for now they're ok but I'll have to figure out how to mount it open when Raleigh starts to pull up on things; I don't want his little fingers to get pinched! I bought those from our friends Matt & Mel Hux before they moved across the country... it makes it extra sweet!
 Here is the "day bed"! It's queen sized & comfy... so come on down! Another challenge was keeping this bedding & making it work with a baby's room. I didn't want to part with it! I think I may take a few naps in the future right there! ;)
Oh, this artwork. I could not be more pleased with it! I saw these on Zulilly one day & knew it would be perfect for Raleigh's nursery. I spent $30 on the artwork, $16 on the frames & 79 cents on the green paint which Auntie Katherine used to paint the once cream mats!! We're a little ghetto... but that saved me $120!! The green is perfect.
"Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." Corinthians 13:7... that's what the sweet giraffe canvas reads! I LOVE it. My sweet friend & coworker Linda Rose surprised me with that at work one day. She said she couldn't wait until my shower to give it to me & I'm glad! I was so excited to hang it somewhere special. Oh, this is also our changing table! I also have a solid green changing pad cover & another one in the green print... both made by my mom & grandma again!
Here is Raleigh's dresser. It's full of lots of clean and organized clothes & blankets!! My mom & sister are the best. Raleigh's daddy is an excellent painter, apparently! He took the vintage white dresser we bought for $90 & turned it into this adorable yellow gem! Since this nursery doubles as a guest room, I made sure to provide a mirror... which I found at Target for $19.99. The picture frame was a gift from Dan & Bev Bonner... I can't wait to put our first family picture in it! (Well at least our first good one!!)
 Here are some of our nicknacks! The bunny was my most beloved stuffed animal. I was convinced it was the Velveteen Rabbit! The bib was Nathan's which was hand stitched by a friend of Carol's. The cigar box was from when Nathan was born!

Here is my favorite corner! Hanging is a prayer that Grandma Carol cross stitched for Nathan's nursery. It just happpppened to match perfectly!? The little table came from Gramma Claudia's house. Nathan painted it yellow too! The pillow was made by my Grandma Barbara! Oh- and there is Raleigh... his little ultrasound is framed!
This shelf I found that at Target on clearance for $16. It has little chalkboards but I haven't decided what to write! I bought it before I had the crib & changing table... I love how perfectly they match!? Hanging from it is Raleigh's baby bonnet & Nathan's baby shoes. On top of it is an adorable personalize giraffe push toy from my friend Meghan & a sweet plate from Nathan's Aunt Karen!
Last thing. My totally impractical & impulsive buy pre-marriage! I found this lamp at a little antique store in western NC when I was vacationing with my mom & dad. I saw it & fell for it! It's green & antique... anyone else seeing a trend?! I had it rewired & got it for $30. I love that it's displayed & on a dimmer! Thanks Dad AKA "Antonio" for hanging it & setting it up on the dimmer. 

 I had fun decorating Raleigh's room. I loved the challenges & the "treasure hunting"! As you can see our families helped provide special nicknacks, homemade gifts & the serious labor to make it all come together. There are still a few things that need to be hung & polished but, for the most part things are in order!! Raleigh is a loved little boy & I can't wait to bring him into his new home!

2 comments:

  1. You did SUCH a great job - what a lucky boy Raleigh already is! I love your style and taste, and you will never grow tired of this room. The twins' nursery has always been a refuge to me - the one room in the house that I made sure to keep clean and uncluttered so that it was a happy place for me and in turn, them, too. Can't wait to see a sweet baby in that crib! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mallory! I remember LOVING the twin's nursery. We are certainly blessed to have talented moms who can sew and create lovely things for our families!! :)

      Delete