Wednesday, June 5, 2013

A Simple Gesture


My husband is in no way the most affectionate man. Many times he has to work at showing me love the way need it. It's been something that he has continued to work on throughout our marriage because he knows how much a kiss or hug means to me! 
Tonight he out did himself. The sweetest thing this pregnant wife needed was some simple reassurance about this incredibly different yet amazing time in my life. I've realized more and more these last 29 weeks that my body is no longer "mine". I have no control over how it grows! I can't control this baby growing in me! I can't control how my body reacts to these changes. In the last few days I have gotten serious stretch marks. They aren't pretty. They certainly don't make me feel pretty! My sweet, sweet husband without thought just leaned over and kissed my growing belly. This time not because our son is in there, but this time because he can see the outward toll my body is taking! He asked me, "do they hurt?" Which thankfully they do not. He gently rubbed the bio oil (which I've been using, apparently in vain) & made me feel like I was pretty again. They didn't scare him or turn him away. They represent something bigger... something he can't do without me! The are my battle scars. In the end they will be worth it and to know that my husband loves me regardless is the best part. 
Sometimes I'm just a silly girl and I guess I just need to be reminded of such things! 

3 comments:

  1. this just made me tear up a little! What a thoughtful and simple gesture to show you how much he loves you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not silly! I'm pretty sure everyone one of us suffers with feeling un-pretty, un-sexy and un-lovable during pregnancy. I know I did! My husband was even less demonstrative than yours but he too rose to the occasion and gave me the support I so needed. I was convinced then (and no less so now, sooo many years later!) that it was God's doing! And, yep, a little tearful myself! Give him an extra hug from me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so beautiful and sweet! Made me feel all squishy inside. You are BEAUTIFUL!! Just to remind you. I've only met you in person twice now but from just seeing your pictures and the way you are in person In my opinion you have such a natural beauty. You seem like such a gentle and genuine person inside and out and though our bodies may change it reflects something greater. You're beautiful mama wear them with pride : ) -cdellepere

    ReplyDelete